Tuesday, 6 October 2015

The Song Time Machine.


Ever heard a song and instantly been transported back to a time that you had forgotten? Anyone?

 Well this week while I was cleaning the house I set up iTunes and pressed the shuffle button. I LITERALLY had no idea what would play. 

Now don't get me wrong, there was the good and there was the bad. I mean why did I waste 79p on some of the songs I have on my iTunes. What was I thinking.

But then I found myself listening to songs that I had not listened to in years and re living so many memories and remembering so many people and moments that I had completely forgotten. A few weeks ago I did a post called a Wander Down Memory Lane where I talked about all the pictures that reminded me of so many different times. But you know, songs can do the same.  

Anyone with me on this?
Anyone have a song that reminds you of a time in your life and now when you hear it you are transported back in that time machine. 

So here they are, the three songs that take me back and where they take me back too. 

1. I'll make a man out of you. Mulan


This song! Who knew Donny Osmond sang it. 
I remember seeing this film when I was 11 in a cute cinema in York and instantly falling in love with it. Can you believe this came out in 1998. Now that makes me feel old. 
Now I had somewhat forgot about the film until I found the DVD in the local supermarket when I was 20, I remember buying it for a laugh but instantly became obsessed with this film. At the time I was a youth worker in a church in Liverpool and I remember watching this with some of the youth I was working with and this became our song. We use to sing it all the time and new it off by heart. (Being honest I still do)
This songs reminds me of the 4 years I worked in Liverpool and amazing young people I worked with. 

2. Moulin Rouge. Elephant Love Medley


I feel like I am not the only one who loves and knows this song off by heart. I am sure there are many girls in their twenties who know this word for word having learnt it as a teenager when this first was released. I mean my friends and I can not be the only ones who took a part each, either playing Nicole or Ewan. (I was always Ewan)
I remember it being the Queens Jubilee (I think, something like that) and I was invited to a village fete near my best friends house. We spent the day doing sports day games, eating cake and then in the afternoon I remember us singing and dancing around her house to the Moulin Rouge sound track. I must of been 16 at the time. 
This song never gets old, like the first song I still know it word for word. 

3. City and Colour. Save your Scissors.


Now this song is a tad different to the other two. 
But I just love it. 
I remember hearing this song on some ones profile on Myspace, you know when you could have a song playing instantly when you clicked on it. Anyone else remember that?
At the time of hearing this song I was working in a cute shop in town. I would spend my Saturdays in between customers coming in listening to a mix tape CD that I made and reading books. 
This song was on the CD. I loved it and had it on repeat none stop. Now when I hear this song, I remember that cute shops and my Saturdays spent there reading. 

Ahhhh, since re listening to these songs I have become obsessed with them again. 

So what songs take you back in time? I would love to know. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the post! You have a really great blog:)

    www.theprintedsea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      It's all quite new so just trying to get my head around it all. But I am enjoying all so far. :)

      Delete